For information on admissions and visits please
contact the school office on 01904 553 900


Applefields School is a special school for children with learning difficulties who live either in York or the surrounding areas of North Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire. Admissions to Applefields School are controlled by the City of York local authority. Children usually start school at the beginning of the school year in September. However, it may be possible for children to transfer to Applefields School during the year depending upon individual circumstances and the availability of places.

If you are interested in your child attending Applefields School please contact the school for further information. A member of staff will be happy to discuss our provision. We hope that the following general advice will be useful.

Details of our Satellite provisions at Manor CE Academy and Millthorpe School  are described in our partnership page  Manor / Millthorpe pages

If Your Child Attends Hob Moor Oaks School

We have a strong partnership with Hob Moor Oaks School, the primary special school in York. .  If you would like your child to transfer to Applefields School an application should be made to the local authority following your child’s review meeting in Year 6. This process applies whether you live in York or outside of the local authority.


If You Live in York and Your Child Attends Another School

If your child lives and attends another school in York (either primary or secondary) an application for a place at Applefields School will usually be made following your child’s annual review or Education, Health and Care Plan meeting. Applications can be made at any time; it is recommended that you discuss your interest in Applefields with the SENCo in your child’s school.

To discuss your application with the local authority or for further information please contact:

SEN Department
West Offices
Station Rise

Tel: 01904 554302


If You Live Outside of York

If you live outside of York an application for a place at Applefields School must be discussed with the SEN services department in your home local authority. This can take place following your child’s annual review meeting or Education and Health Care Plan meeting. Please speak to the SENCo in your child’s school.

If your local authority agrees to support your request for a place at Applefields School your home local authority will contact the SEN Department at York. The allocation of places will then be considered by the Headteacher in consultation with the staff in the City of York SEN Department.

The contact details for North Yorkshire County Council are:

The Pupil and Parents Officer

Selby Local Education Office
2 Abbey Yard
North Yorkshire

Tel : 08450 349 465

The Pupil and Parents Officer

Harrogate Local Education Office
Ainsty Road
North Yorkshire

Tel : 08450 349 467

The Pupil and Parents Officer

Scarborough/Ryedale Education Office
Valley Bridge Parade
North Yorkshire
YO11 2PG

Tel : 08450 349 400

The Pupil and Parents Officer

Northallerton Local Education Office
121 -123 High Street
North Yorkshire

Tel : 08450 349 468


The contact details for East Riding of Yorkshire Council are:

Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS)
County Hall,
HU17 9BA

Tel: 01482 392180